- 3-5 heads Chinese cabbage (pechay baguio)
- 2 pcs large onion leeks, cut into 1 inch lengths, then thinly sliced
- 3-4 whole heads of garlic, crushed (use mortar and pestle)
- 3 Tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp thai patis (optional:bagoong)
- ¾ Cup Korean Red Pepper Powder or Gochugaru
- *if not available, Korean Red Pepper Paste or Gochujang can be substituted but Gochugaru makes for better kimchi
- *optional, sliced carrots and radish
- Slice cabbages in half, sprinkle liberally with salt.
- Place in large bowl or container and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, better if overnight.
- The next day, remove accumulated liquid and wash the cabbages thoroughly,
- this could take 3-4 washes to remove excess salt.
- Drain cabbages in a colander, if you opt to cut up the cabbages instead of fermenting them whole, you can do so at this point.
- While draining the cabbages, peel and crush garlic, chop up ginger and onion leeks (also carrots and radish).
- Combine with red pepper powder, patis and make a paste. Spread paste all over cabbage (or mix well if cut up).
- Place kimchi on a nonreactive container (food-grade plastic, glass) and leave at room
- temperature for 24 hours before refrigerating. Or straight to the refrigerator and wait for 3-5 days before eating.
- While waiting for your kimchi to age a bit – just a few days – you should think of the best dishes that can go with it. Grilled, fried and roasted meats are the best partners for kimchi. Try it this weekend and the following week you’ll be able to enjoy this for a few days.
- You can keep home-made kimchi in an airtight container in the fridge for up to several weeks. You will notice intensity in flavor and spiciness as time goes. And the best thing about it — no preservatives!
Easy Related Posts
Baked Potatoes Recipe
Ingredients: 2 cups yogurt – hang for half an hours in a cloth500 gm medium potatoes ...read more
Ingredients: 3 russet potatoes (about 1 3/4 pounds) Coarse salt 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil ...read more
Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe
Ingredients 3 tablespoons unsalted butter , divided1 lb (450g) beef stew meat , cut into about ...read more
Lumpiang Sariwa Recipe
Ingredients ½ kilo pork, cut into small pieces1 large turnip, cut into strips1 large sweet potato, ...read more