Enkiwar is basically a kind of biko ( sticky rice cake) kakanin made from glutinous rice. The origin is from Ilocos and it’s an Ilokano version of biko. People may be confused a bit because other call this kakanin “puto” but actually this is more of biko or glutinous rice cake. Because puto, although some variety are made from ground malagkit rice it is similar to a soft muffin. Most puto today are made from flour and milk.
Preparation and cooking of this recipe is simple in small batches but it will require more effort if you are going to cook this enkiwar in large quantity. Anyway before lining the bilao with banana leaves, you have to heat it over a fire so leaves will become soft and easy to arrange in the bamboo tray or bilao.
- 1 and 1/2 cup malagkit (glutinous rice)
- water for soaking the rice
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 kilo sugar
- Bilao lined with banana leaves
- In a bowl, soak malagkit in water for 30 minutes or until soft. Drain the water from the bowl.
- In a pot, boil the coconut milk with salt until about a cup has been evaporated.
- Put the malagkit in a pot of coconut milk turning often to avoid scorching until the rice has dried a bit and has softened.
- Cook the softened rice in moderate heat and add the sugar, turning often until cooked.
- Remove from fire and place in a bilao (bamboo tray) lined with banana leaves.
- Serve either hot or cold.
- Source: filveggie.com
Easy Related Posts
How to Make Cheesy Corned Beef Omelet
https://youtu.be/a2ZjGmMHzDw Ingredients: 1 serving corned beef4 cloves garlic, minced½ medium onion, minced1 large potato, cut into cubes4 ...read more
Pinoy Halo Halo Recipe
Ingredients 1 ripe large banana2 ripe mangoes1 cup firm gelatin set into gel and cut into ...read more
How to Make Chili Garlic Oil
https://youtu.be/YOdBWh-f250 Ingredients 2 pcs whole garlic, minced5 pcs chili pepper, mincedcooking oil Instructions In a preheated pan, put about ...read more
Ingredients ¼ lb shrimp½ lb boneless chicken1 tsp garlic2 tsp cornstarch1 tbsp oyster sauce½ piece cabbage, ...read more