- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup leftover mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white rum
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 325°. Coat an 8-inch metal cake pan with high sides with canola oil, tipping to fully coat.
- Combine granulated sugar and water in a small heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; cook for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Immediately pour into prepared pan, tipping quickly until caramelized sugar coats bottom of pan.
- Place sweet potato and next 7 ingredients (through eggs) in a blender; process until smooth.
- Add milk; process just until blended. Pour mixture over caramel in pan.
- Place pan in a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish; add hot water to dish to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove pan from water. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight. Invert flan onto a platter, and cut into 8 wedges.
- Drizzle any remaining caramel syrup over flan.
Recipe Source here