- ½ lb. whole wheat spiral pasta
- 1 medium sized onion, minced
- 1 tbsp. + ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 10 oz can whole clams with juice
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 inch red chili flakes
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 6 medium cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil salt and black pepper to taste
- *optional ½ cup shredded parmesan
- Bring water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While water is coming to a boil and pasta is cooking, heat 1 tbsp broth over medium heat in a 10-12 inch minutes stirring frequently.
- Add tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Cook for another 10 minutes on high heat to reduce and intensify sauce. Add clams and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add pressed garlic, chopped basil, olive oil, salt. Pepper and chili flakes. Remove from heat immediately and toss with cooked, drained pasta.