- 3/4 pound flank steak, sliced very thin and against the grain
- 4 cups broccoli cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1-1/2 tablespoons high-heat cooking oil like vegetable or canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- cooked white rice
For the beef marinade:
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce1 teaspoon mirin
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Place the sliced beef in a large ziplock bag. Stir together the marinadeingredients and pour into the bag. Smoosh to coat the beef in the mixture, then let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli for 2 minutes, or until crisp tender. Do not overcook as the broccoli will cook a bit more later in the recipe.
- Stir together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat an electric wok, or very large skillet, to high heat. Add the oil then gently place the beef in the wok and spread into a single layer. Let the beef cook for 1 minute without touching it.
- Add the garlic and stir continuously for 1 minute, then add in the sauce and broccoli. Bring the sauce to a boil, then add in the cornstarch dissolved in water. Cook until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Serve over rice, if desired.